Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

On My Design Wall Today...

Well, I've finally put all the pieces of my Botanical Shop Hop quilt up on the design wall ~ or what passes as MY design wall.







Funny thing is, that I'm not really all too pleased with the color choices. Almost a year ago, when I held the fabrics up together in the quilt shop, the blue fabric (I cut into large blue panels) brought a nice sparkle to the fabric choices. The rest of the fabrics were a part of last years Western Washington Shop Hop line of fabrics.



This was going to be the first quilt I ever made specifically to keep and put on our bed. That being said, you'd think I would have put a little more thought into the color choices. I just picked the fabrics from the shop hop line I thought my husband would like the best and then added the blue fabric to the selection.



My DH and one of my daughters seem to like it fine, but...



Mmmm, I don't know, something just doesn't feel right about it. I think that perhaps the blue fabric doesn't really work as well as I had hoped.

8 comments:

audreypawdrey said...

I think it is lovely! Is the big blue block bothering you? Could you change that somehow I wonder? I think it is fine the way it is but it would be better to make it so that you love it if it is going to be on your bed where you see it everyday! Of course, you could use this as another opportunity to make another quilt! I always love those opportunities.

Jane Moxey said...

I agree with the last poster -- something about the large blue blocks is distracting from the pieced blocks to my eye. There's a whole cool chain vibe going on in your two pieced blocks, and the big blue seems to interrupt the flow of the chains...Maybe something quieter in texture for the "blue" places? Maybe pull something darker so the pieced blocks can shine more? Could you go for a purple or lavender color instead of the blue perhaps...Can you take your two pieced blocks to your local fabric store and lay them out against some other bolts? Shopping opportunity for MORE fabric? Heh heh...

Sara said...

I have to agree with the last 2 posters, its the large blue blocks. They draw your attention to them and distract from the pieced blocks. I think they either need to be a different color they need to be broken up into two smaller blocks with more pieced blocks. Good Luck with it!

wonderwoman said...

i'm in awe of you having a design wall! how lovely! mine just get put on the floor!

xx

Libby said...

Of course you are the one who has to live with it, but I really like it a lot as is. Personally I think the blue gives it a really interesting texture. I like the color combo overall. It does get a little low contrast in places, but that doesn't bother me.

Maybe try "auditioning" some other things and see what you think?

Eileen said...

Hmm. That's tricky. maybe it's because the blue blocks are just a shade off from the more teal like color of the smaller blocks..? Not sure. I don't think it looks bad.. but it is going to be your quilt and you need to be happy with it!

Lisa Boyer said...

OMG!! This is a great and courageous thing to do--drag out all your UFO's and deal with them! Good for you. So many great projects! I'm subscribed to your blog, so I'll stay tuned!

Within A Quarter Inch said...

That's quite a list Dionne!! My goodness, you are (almost) as bad as I am:)
I agree - bye bye big blue blocks...