Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Art Auction Quilt - part one, the prep work
Well, I've cut out about 40 blocks, more than we need but I want to be prepared when I get to the classroom on Wed.
Each block is 8 3/4 inch. I'll cut it down later, but with all the children handling them, I don't want to worry about fraying later. Should have used my pinking rotary really, but the best laid plans and all....
Anyhow, then I lightly traced the pictures with an iron transfer pen, I actually had to do this bit twice to keep from getting a mirror-image. Then I ironed the transfers onto the squares. What I ended up with is a light outline on each block of fabric.
You can get this step as dark as you want it, but I am going for a light outline to serve as a template for the children, because I want them each to really create their own artwork. It's a fine line and really some classroom projects have a lot less of the children's input than others. It's really the preference of the organizing parent. But personally, I really like it to be a product of the children.
I think it will come along nicely.