Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Worst Nightmare Come True

.... or at least, my worst nightmare when dealing with someone else's fabrics!

I looked at these fabrics several times before deciding exactly what square would look best. There wasn't a lot of fabric so my first choice ( a pineapple blossom) was scrapped for my second choice. But instead of actually measuring, I eyeballed the fabric and assumed I had enough.

Then, I started cutting, big mistake!!! I was just a scant 1/4" off! NOT ENOUGH FABRIC! Oh, what was I to do, I don't have any more of this fabric, it's not even mine. I had barely gotten into this swap group, and only on the recommendation of my friend Audrey (Who's awesome blog can be found here: AudreyPawdry )


I briefly had visions of a devastated recipient, being black-listed from Craftster, and, well.... let's just say sometimes I get a bit dramatic. But I was a little horror struck at my mistake.


Well, I quickly re-assessed the remains of my cutting mistake and came up with the following block and some bonus HSTs that measure 3.5":



Actually, it really wouldn't be nearly as bad if she wasn't already receiving TWO friendship star blocks in these fabrics. Fortunately all three blocks have a different way of making use of the fabrics and they do look sufficiently different. So all my drama was for nothing, but it did serve to teach me a very valuable lesson when using other peoples fabrics! Also, I'm a little nervous that she will be disappointed.

3 comments:

wonderwoman said...

it looks lovely and i'm sure she will not be disappointed!

xx

audreypawdrey said...

I feel honored and I don't think it was only on my recommendation, either. I also don't think you have anything to worry about. It turned out wonderful and I love how you used the fabric in the middle square.

I have definitely done the same thing before and panicked. You are not the first and will not be the last. ;) In the past round, this happened to a couple people and they requested additional fabric with no feelings hurt all around. I think it turned out wonderfully and you didn't have to request anymore fabric-so kudos to you! If you didn't mention it, no one would ever know either.:)

John said...

Ditto to what Audrey said ... there have been several times in the past swap where someone said "I need some more of so-and-so's yellow fabric, any extras?" And then another swapper who may not have used all of the yellow (for example) in their block will pass it along. No worries! Your block looks great.