Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Old Tobacco Road - Day One, Fabric Selection

I am doing Bonnie's latest Mystery Quilt called 'Old Tobacco Road'. I got a bit of a late start on this one, so I am not answering (or reading my email) in a timely manner in an effort not to spoil the surprise!

If you haven't done any of Bonnie's mysteries, they are fabulous and a lot of fun. I will be posting all of my OTR (Old Tobacco Road) related activities and pictures here.


The Basics: This will be 56" x 78" - which is bigger than a throw size. I might add the optional borders segment, and then I'll end up with a full size quilt that measures approximately 81-inches X 104-inches!


Bonnie's directions allow for both a complete scrappy look, or a more controlled scrappy look. I tend towards the controlled colors and bearing that in mind here is what I've done:


Choose two color families:


  • First in deep rusts and browns - Bonnie threw in some black for contrast, I replaced that with deep garnet.

  • Next, a color family that will not clash with your rusts. I chose greens and blues.

  • Lastly you need a selection of lights or creams. I chose not to go scrappy at all here but have one cream print that I will use throughout.


The black you see is for one of the borders. I don't know if I will only do one border or all three that she has fabric selections for.

2 comments:

audreypawdrey said...

What pretty colors! It completely reminds me of fall with the colors of leaves changing and the blue sky above. I should try one of her mystery quilts sometime. :)

wonderwoman said...

wow a mystery quilt - that sounds fun - your colours look great and will look forward to seeing the end result!