Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Little Personal Purse

My daughter who is twelve, had a sudden need to carry personal items in her backpack at school. Looking around the house, I didn't have anything that was suitable. So I made her this little personal purse.

I started with Three layers of fabric, wrong sides IN. The middle layer was just a piece of flannel to act as the batting.

Next, I stitched a few straight lines across, sandwiching the middle layer.

Then I added some decorative stitches to add some interest. Had I of had more time, some beautiful ribbons or decorative threads here would have been nice. I have a DVD I haven't watched yet called Ann Fahl Teaches You Coloring with Thread This might have been a good resource, should've busted it out!


This gave me a rectangle with unfinished edges. I folded the bottom up to create a pocket, then did a satin stitch along the bottom and sides. This is where a serger would have come in handy!

Lastly I added a button hole and put a button on. It's a bit rough, but it does the trick. I think next time, since I know what I'm doing, I could make something far more lovely.

But in this situation she has something very utilitarian, with all the items she needs, plus room to keep a change if she needs it. Twelve is a fun time, but I wouldn't want to do it again!

Cheers,


Dionne

9 comments:

Jane Moxey said...

Cute purse! Fun that you got to use your decorative stitches though and the satin stitch edge was a nice finish for the scallopy flap. Ann's DVD is quite long, but I had a go with her techniques. She knows so much about all that so I was glad to have been to her house in Racine WI to shoot that DVD. I don't think I would ever have the patience to do a whole quilt with her techniques, but I did do some flower centers the Ann Fahl Way on the little quilt I got into APNQ last year! It's just amazing what our lovely sewing machines can do, if we knew how!!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

That's so perfect Dionne. I have a 12 year old granddaughter and she would love this. I'm going to try to make her one! blessings, marlene

audreypawdrey said...

That is perfect! I remember the angst of carrying a backpack only and needing something to hide necessities in when exiting class to go to the restroom. I am so glad that I am no longer 12. :)

wonderwoman said...

that is a lovely purse - i think i just had a plastic washbag!!!! mind you it was a long time ago!!

xxx

Clare Wassermann said...

Ah great idea. I'll remember it when we get to that terrifying stage!!! x

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!

Micki said...

The purse is lovely! What a great idea!
Micki

YankeeQuilter said...

I think your...I mean your DD's...purse came out great. I think I had to use a cover them with a bandanna and an elastic!

Nanette Merrill said...

That is so so cute!