I started with Three layers of fabric, wrong sides IN. The middle layer was just a piece of flannel to act as the batting.
Next, I stitched a few straight lines across, sandwiching the middle layer.
Then I added some decorative stitches to add some interest. Had I of had more time, some beautiful ribbons or decorative threads here would have been nice. I have a DVD I haven't watched yet called Ann Fahl Teaches You Coloring with Thread This might have been a good resource, should've busted it out!
This gave me a rectangle with unfinished edges. I folded the bottom up to create a pocket, then did a satin stitch along the bottom and sides. This is where a serger would have come in handy!
Lastly I added a button hole and put a button on. It's a bit rough, but it does the trick. I think next time, since I know what I'm doing, I could make something far more lovely.
But in this situation she has something very utilitarian, with all the items she needs, plus room to keep a change if she needs it. Twelve is a fun time, but I wouldn't want to do it again!