Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sample My BOMmy Heart!




It's month two of my first Block Of the Month. Yes, I've been quilting a million years and I've never done a BOM before. Unless you count the Thangles BOM; which I don't. And besides my LQS discontinued that program anyhow.


Now there is so many more patterns to choose from. It's amazing to me how many BOMs are out there. Literally something for any taste, preference. You can do piecework or applique; from brightly colored monsters to a Halloween balitimore quilt. The possibilities are endless.





The problem, for me anyhow, was that all the BOMs back in the bad old days of quilting were always traditional Samplers. I never cared for the Sample quilt - or a cross stitch sampler for that matter. It was just something that didn't appeal to me. The design wasn't uniform, too much chaos.


Oh what a control freak I was! It makes me laugh now. How the times have changed. Samplers appeal to me, now. They are much like the way my life has turned out. A little of this, a little of that....





It seems I've created a life like a patchwork: friends, family, good times and bad, all these memories held together by the efforts of my stitching.


Of course my life is only one third over, so there is still plenty of room to change the story. Who knows, I might just have a masterpiece in me somewhere.



But not today. Today I'm just going to enjoy working on my Sampler and sample a few more patterns and blocks...





This month I have two identical blocks in different fabrics. Also, for every month, I have two filler blocks. Some participants are putting in applique on these blocks and others are doing embroidery. I toyed with the idea, but decided to keep my filler blocks plain and simple. I have more chance of getting it done on time that way.




The colors for this quilt are all in the fall colors, so by the time I'm finished with the blocks (next year this time) I'll have just enough time to finish the quilting for a new fall quilt, right?



Well, that's the plan anyway!

Cheers,



Dionne



PS - Just four more days to leave a comment for my 'Plume' giveaway. Leave your comment on the post HERE.

1 comment:

YankeeQuilter said...

I like making a sampler quilt now and again...lets me play with blocks I may want to try again some day (or not!)