Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spectacular Site




I took my three children to the Art museum. This is the first time I have attempted to bring them because of the large glass display by Dale Chihuly.





As soon as we walked in we saw this Spectacular Site!











This entire meter-maid vehicle is quilted. Even the wheels are quilted.






The artist is Paul Margolis and he entitled the piece: 'I Imagined Myself as a Meter-Maid'

If you see my daughter pretending she is a meter maid you get the idea of the size.








I couldn't find a website for the artist, or I would add a link here for you.











He also had these pair of quilted flip-flops on display as well.







My children were incredibly well-behaved, throughout the entire walk through of the museum. They especially enjoyed the altered book display. This display was amazing, there was a full size Buddha head that was carved from several Manhattan White pages, as well as several intricate carvings inside the pages of different books.






My children were careful, interested and really really well-behaved, until we got to the Quilt display on the third floor.

This exhibit is titled 'American Quilt Classics, 1800 - 1980' and it was my ultimate purpose of taking the trip in the first place.

We arrived at the display and all of a sudden they lost their interest, started wandering around aimlessly. It was rather funny actually, but in the end, my oldest hustled the other two down to the interactive art table and I had a few minutes to peruse the quilts alone while my children created their own artwork.

6 comments:

Niena said...

Awesome. If only our local museum had put this on display when I decided to bring my kids that day!!

Denise Felton said...

What a wonderful surprise! Thank you so much for the photos. I just posted a link to this post on my blog. I hope it brings you a few extra visitors.

Denise
http://needlework.craftgossip.com

Sara said...

I LOVE those flip flops! I have like 30 pairs! Yeah, its true. ANd your kiddos probably lost interest because they see it every day! Kuddos to the oldest for letting you have a few minutes to browse!

Sharon said...

This is something I need to see! I'll have to plan a trip to this museum in the near future. And how sweet that your oldest made sure you got to see what you wanted! Love that meter maid vehicle...what a hoot!

Clare Wassermann said...

Great fun. It's funny isn't it though, whenever you get to the bit you wanted, after all the bribing and psychological techniques, they get scratchy. I think they are genetically programmed from their Daddies at this point!

Micki said...

What a wonderful museum! I would have loved it, but thanks for the pics, as I could well imagine what it would have been like.
Micki